Cold weather is good for things like staying in bed, heading to the snow and occasional consumption of hot fish, but for your skin, it’s torture. So by the time spring comes, your dry and cracked skin is fed up and ready for a taste of spring weather. Along with long, warmer days, spring season also comes with a plethora of ingredients perfect for healing, moisturizing and alleviating your skin. Examine the aisles of your grocery store, and you will see them stocked with some of the best fruits, vegetables, and oils able to kick your big-brand skin care products.
Say yes to a scrub
The first step to the spring-ready skin is to shed your winter skin! Before you lament over your lack of pre-summer soft skin, go DIY. You can quickly make an at-home body scrub to slough off the last of winter’s dull skin. Choose either salt or sugar (sugar will be slightly gentler on the skin) and an organic oil of choice. We suggest olive and coconut oils for their richness. Coconut oil sugar scrub does a great exfoliating job, as it gets rid of all dead skin cells and give you a new, fresh look.
- Mix one part oil (of your choice) to two parts sugar or salt in a container. The contents will separate, which is entirely normal. Add two to three drops of your essential oil of choice. We love grapefruit or lavender. Now you have a pure and divine DIY body scrub to enhance your experience of next shower.
Several spa treatments either start or end with some kind of hydrotherapy. Usually, it involves starting off in a warm pool and then plunging into a cooler one to boost circulation. You are left feeling relaxed yet energized, but you do not have to hit the spa for that to happen. All you need is hit the showers at your home.
- Start with a hot shower (not too hot but pleasantly warm) for one minute. Now, switch to cold water for 15 to 30 seconds. Repeat three to five minutes. Emerge feeling ready to face the long spring day!
Make it a mask
Treatment masks, whether applied at a spa or purchased from a beauty store, can be pricey, but you do not need to dip into your purse to treat your skin. What’s in your kitchen can be an affordable yet most effective way to get gorgeous skin. The most common skin care concerns in spring season are a complexion that’s a) too dry or b) too oily. Check out these two useful and quick fixes.
- Strawberry mask clarifies your skin and busts excess oil. Crush three to four berries, add two tablespoons of organic yogurt and the juice from one-quarter of a lemon. Mix well and apply to dry, clean skin. Leave on for 5-10 minutes, then rinse well.
- For an effective and cheap dry skin solution, add one tablespoon of yogurt in a mashed avocado. Mix well, apply and leave on for five to ten minutes. Rinse well and use your regular moisturizer.
Steam and tone skin
Instead of wasting hard-earned money on products meant to get your skin glowing, do it all on your own. Steam your skin (you don’t even need a steamer) to open the clogged pores and boost circulation.
- Simply add warm (not boiling) water to a glass bowl. Add few crushed mint leaves for freshness, cover your head with a large towel to keep the steam in and sit with your face over the bowl. Five to ten minutes should do the trick.
Next, it’s time to tone, but again you don’t need to hit the beauty aisle. Just brew chamomile or green tea, let it cool for few minutes in the fridge, add to spray bottle, and voila – you have made a refreshing toner for the cost of a tea bag.